Thursday, November 18, 2010

No diagnosis, but successful treatment

Usually, when something is wrong with you, you get a diagnosis, and that leads to a course of treatment to fix what is wrong. So what happens when no-one can work out what is wrong with you?

The neurologist at first thought my sore bicep was unrelated to multifocal, but saw what he thought was a lump. After ultrasound revealed the muscle was normal, he was stumped. He suggested anti-inflammatories, but they didn't help, and there was no evidence of inflammation in any case. My pilates instructor (who is also a physiotherapist) didn't see any indication of muscle damage, and there was no trauma event that triggered this.

The only person to provide any explanation was a massuese, who said the muscle felt matted and dehydrated, which might have been because I was getting my infusions in the same arm all the time, and the "juice" flowed through the big bicep muscle. Both the nurse who administers the infusions, and my neurologist said this was nonsense from a medical perspective. Although I did get the most recent juicing in my left arm. Unfortunately, my veins aren't as prominent in that arm, so all I had to show were some nasty bruises.

After all that, the bicep pain continued, so I thought I'd try some physio - massage and ultrasound - and that is working. The physiotherapist still has no idea what the problem was, but if the shoe fits, then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment