Wednesday, February 4, 2009

and the results are ...

I really need to learn to adjust my expectations. The spinal tap was supposed to explain/reveal so much about specifically what condition I had, and the reason behind the side effects. Instead, the results are inconclusive, and I am left feeling flat, exhausted (is it the hot weather, the return to work, or a side effect?), and as uncertain as ever.

The protein levels were elevated, but not sufficiently to indicate CIDP over MMN. There was slight inflammation, but not sufficiently to confirm aseptic meningitis. Could be that the meningitis was more clearly indicated if we had done the spinal tap sooner after the initial IVIG treatment (it's been over six weeks), and now we are seeing only a residual inflammation. So, to summarize the test results in lay-speak: "it might be this, but on the other hand, it could be that, and the side effects might have been because of the other".

Bottom line: my neuro is putting me on a short (three week) course of Prednisone in the hope that it might reduce the inflammation, and therefore the headaches. They may also have an effect on the primary condition. And I am left still wondering, and have to pick up some more Panadol - the bulk size *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment