Thursday, February 12, 2009

'roids forward and backward

Have been on the 'roids (that's steroids, as in Prednisone) for a week now, and they do seem to have had an effect. The headaches have subsided, which is good. The main thing I've been watching for are further possible side effects. Sometimes I wonder what proportion of drugs are taken to avoid side effects of other drugs, and how much goes to treat the primary condition.

Still have some more tests next week that might shed some further light on exactly what thing I have. In the meantime, it's a case of "let's try this and see what happens".

In the meantime, I've noticed in the last day that my right finger has reverted a little, and there is less movement. It seems a bit different to what it was a few months ago before any treatment. My wife thinks I'm really good at describing pain and physical sensations. This feels a little different to before - there is a noticeable heaviness and lack of desire to respond to my brain's instructions to lift. There is also the slightest tingle in the finger.

This could be a side effect of the Prednisone (unlikely, I think), or simply because the IVIG treatment was two months ago and is wearing off. Interesting to note the rate of the decay - it took weeks to start working again, but seems to have stopped working relatively quickly. I am far from ready to try another dose of the juice; still have another two weeks to wind down the Prednisone and assess its effects.

And as usual, a change like this has me feeling depressed. I almost felt like going back to bed and staying there all day. Fortunately, there is enough to do at work so here I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment