Friday, March 20, 2009

next juice ...

My hand strength has degraded a fair bit in the last week, and with the protracted diagnosis phase all but complete (just a review discussion with my neurologist next week), I decided that it was finally time for my second IVIg treatment. I ought to be pleased because it has been three months since the first one, which indicates a very slow progression, but instead I'm feeling flat and depressed about it.

Approaching a second treatment course is very different from the first. While I am unable to get excited or enthusiastic about any medical procedure involving a close relationship with a needle, at least with the first treatment, I anticipated a successful outcome, and was not particularly concerned about side effects.

This time around, my anticipation is very different. I think the treatment will result in improvement to my hand strength, but the side effects are a concern, mostly because there hasn't been a satisfactory explanation as to why the headaches went on so long. This time, I am going to premedicate with Prednisone, which should help, but as always, the operative word is "should".

But the other thing that weighs down on me is the long-term future. By embarking on this a second time, I'm accepting it as a part of my life - that regular IVIg "juicings" will now be established as a regular part of my diary. While I was already advised that there is no cure, and that this is just about the only treatment, this is the moment when its permanence is truly felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment