Tuesday, April 7, 2009

'roid rage?

I really hate Prednisone. I'm finally tapering for a bit longer after being on it for just over a week at 25mg, and this time, it's really messing with me. Hard to put words on it ... I'm "edgy", not tired at night, sort-of anxious, peckish. Have put on 4-5kg in just a few days, which has made me feel bloated. Is this 'roid rage?

Whatever it is, I can't stand it. It's making me something I don't like, and I can't wait for these side effects to fade away.

It's strange that I don't recall these side effects last time I took Prednisone. This time, we did it as a premedication before the IVIg, so the circumstances and the combination of things going on in my body are a bit different. They have helped to alleviate some of the IVIg side effects, but it has been a very unpleasant journey. In addition, the Prednisone does seem to have a negative effect on my hand strength, so the benefits of the IVIg are held back somewhat. This is something that also happened in my last treatment cycle.

The good news is that my consulting neurologist from Johns Hopkins suggested something different next time. The thought of having to fiddle with doses of Prednisone each time was really depressing me. Instead, he's suggested an IV cocktail of dexamethasone plus a couple of other "mixers" as a one-shot premedication. It's a much stronger form of steroid, and because it's a short, sharp dose, the side effects should be reduced. Anyway, something else to look forward to in a couple of months ...

No comments:

Post a Comment