Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Review with The Man

My last day at Mayo started with the onset of a headache. The little brochure they gave me said that one in three people who have a lumbar puncture experience a headache afterwards. I'm now back in Australia, but was unfortunately unable to leave the headache in the US! It's a dull, throbbing pain, punctuated by bursts of intensity whenever I laugh, cough, or suddenly move my head. What I probably need is some solid R&R time to get over the whole experience.

But back to day 5: I finally get to meet Dr Dyck for a review of all of the test results, and recommendations moving forward. He takes a bit of a history, reviews the documentation, discusses it with the other neurologist present, and confirms the original diagnosis of multifocal motor neuropathy, with conduction blocks in right and left arms. I guess the good news is that there is nothing more insidious there, and I am satisfied that enough diagnosis work has been done to find anything else that could be wrong with me. I explain the side effects that I have experienced, and also show him my hand strength measurement apparatus, and he is suitably impressed. He must be 70-odd, and his finger is able to support over 650g!

As regards dealing with the main condition, he has a few interesting insights. Considering the half-life of IVIg being ten days (contrary to what I've seen online), he is more in favour of smaller doses fortnightly rather than a bigger dose monthly.

There are two schools of thought regarding the use of IVIg for MMN: treat aggressively early on to limit the permanent degradation in hand strength, or delay/limit treatment until the condition gets more severe, because the stuff will eventually stop working. His view is more aligned with the latter: that I should take only as much of the "juice" as is needed to ensure my hand weakness doesn't severely impact my life.

It has been nearly eight weeks since my last juicing, and my hand strength has held up reasonably well - the pain that I was expecting as a result of weakness has not appeared. So I'm thinking that maybe a reduced rate might be in order. He also suggests that it's worth considering different brands of IVIg as they are produced differently, and some may be more effective than others.

He concludes with some general comments about auto-immune disorders: get plenty of sleep (I wish!), eat well, exercise, etc, ... and choose life! He asks me where that phrase comes from, and I recognize it from Deuteronomy (30:19). The quote resonates strongly with me, and I've been thinking since that time about how important my attitude is to all of this. The trip has left me with plenty to consider, as much in terms of treatment as as how to adjust my lifestyle. More once the headache subsides.

No comments:

Post a Comment