Tuesday, January 27, 2009

more tests

Had a review with the Neurologist today, which confirmed that remains some increased strength in my hands after the initial IVIG treatment. It's not back to 100%, but it's better than it was a couple of months ago. Being just the first treatment, we must now sit back and see how long it lasts.


Some questions remain unanswered, like why I still have headaches, and he suspects that I may be suffering from an uncommon side effect of IVIG - aseptic meningitis (aseptic as in not the nasty form of meningitis that is really dangerous, but rather the benign one that gives headaches instead). There is also still some doubt as to whether what I have is MMN or actually CIDP. He expressed this possibility earlier, because of the way certain nerves were affected, and this doubt was also indicated by comments from another doctor who reviewed my case, and asked for further information.

So the obvious thing to do is to stick a needle in my back and extract some fluid - the magical cerebrospinal fluid which contains (we hope) the answers to the mysteries that lurk within my body. The lumbar puncture, or spinal tap, is something I've seen plenty of times on TV in medical dramas. I guess the only good thing about having one is that I won't see it - I'll be facing the other way trying to think of something distracting. Do you think they'll let me listen to my iPod during the test? My fear of needles keeps being tested by all these damn tests and treatments, and is something I will just have to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment