Friday, December 19, 2008

fully juiced

The term TGIF was most appropriate, and in a way it was relieving to finally finish the initial five days of infusions. It took Michelle three tries to get the needle in (which is already two too many), but knowing this was the last time (for a few weeks, at least) meant there was light at the end of the tunnel. Another woman who was just getting hooked up as I was leaving sat cowering in her chair as her needle was being inserted; so I'm not the only needle phobic who has to deal with regular jabs.

The migraines are still there, and not getting better, and now my neck is sore as well. The pill cocktail does subside the pain, though I'm still left feeling quite awful, and haven't really been able to work for most of the week. Had a bit of a chat with the neuro resident and registrar about the side effects, and what to look out for over the coming days. It seems the particular side effects I have experienced are not very common. It seems this particular branch of medicine is one that almost seems like trial and error. They know what I have (but not where it comes from), and know that in the majority of cases, it responds well to this treatment (but not why). Reassuring, eh?

So, to sum up, a week of my life has all but disappeared, and all I have to show for it are a few holes in my arm, a few DVDs watched, and a nasty headache. Hoping that the headaches will subside and the treatment will start to have an effect, but at the moment, the overwhelming feeling is one of despondency.

No comments:

Post a Comment