Tuesday, December 23, 2008

more uncertainty

Now I'm actually getting scared. After a discussion with the neurology registrar at the hospital where I had the treatment last week, it seems that having a pinkish tinge in the urine isn't a good thing after all, and indicates the presence of blood. With all these damn side effects, it's hard to know what is coming from where any more.

The biggest fear in any diagnosis is ... what if they get it wrong? what if my symptoms are masking some other, more sinister, disorder? The GM1 antibodies are supposed to be a reliable indicator of MMN, but what else could it be? Damn internet! I enjoy watching House, but now I feel like I'm guest star in an episode! As if there wasn't enough uncertainty before. So it's off to my regular doctor for more tests ...

The worst part is that I can't really tell anyone at the moment. My wife is already worried about this, and we are hosting a huge dinner party tonight. If I tell her about this new symptom, she will only worry more and be totally distracted from the event tonight. So, will have to duck out to the doctor quickly and surreptitiously, and wait until later tonight to share this with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment